Friday, August 16, 2013

Wild horses and internships.

It seems like quite a bit has happened since you last heard from me. For starters, I discovered a gorgeous little town in the mountains about two hours from the city last weekend. AJ has been part of two small groups since he first started attending church here, and he's been itching for me to get involved ever since I arrived. Finally, I agreed that we should go to one of the group's retreats just for the day. Others were staying Friday through Wednesday--something I would have loved to do, but I have no idea how they make that work with career obligations. 

It was really fun watching the landscape change from dry, rugged mountains, sand dunes, and open deserts (which are a little greener with the rain we've gotten) to even bigger mountains covered in pine trees. This all happens extremely quickly--if you look at where we live, you'd never know there was a landscape so lush and beautiful just two hours away! On the way we passed tiny desert towns, the kind where you wonder who in the world chooses to live there. We also drove through a reservation, which was also interesting to me.

Once we arrived at our destination, I felt right at home. It was beautiful. It was so much cooler, wetter, and quieter than our big, dusty, noisy city. We spent the morning in a condo doing devotions with the group before splitting into men's and women's lunch groups. After that we discovered a small herd of wild horses, something I didn't even know existed these days! It was incredible how friendly and beautiful they were. Finally, we got around to what I was looking forward to--a hike in the mountains. Unfortunately, it rained on our hike, but we still got some amazing views. That night we had dinner, made a fire, and studied more of 1 Kings. Although AJ and I were out pretty late, it was well worth it. I'm dying to go back--somehow the city just doesn't feel quite right after being in a place so quiet and beautiful. 

In other news, I have a new field placement just in time for the fall! To make a long story short, my original placement fell through at the last minute. Although I did nothing wrong and the staff were excited to have me, certain people neglected to take care of some important details and I lost the placement. Now I can say I have an even better one though! I'll be at one of the major hospitals in the city, working in the Crime Victims Unit. This means I'll see everyone who comes through the ER as a victim of crime, including survivors of sexual assault, domestic violence, gunshots, drunk driving accidents, and more. I will also be seeing children who are victims of chronic sexual abuse in the unit's clinic. In addition, I get to sit on the hospital's ethics committee, which is super cool. I'm so excited. The placement is very prestigious, and I was told that my experience in sex trafficking is what got me the internship. I'll also be getting paid! Not as an employee, but it's something! I'm so happy with the way things turned out. Now I'm busy getting CPR certified, making sure my vaccines are current, getting drug tested, etc. so I'm allowed to start working in the hospital. I can't wait!



No comments:

Post a Comment