Wednesday, June 27, 2012

New apartment, new car...life's good!

Yesterday I was able to unpack all of our belongings and put everything in its place. I was surprised at my husband's lack of clothes other than his ACUs, but at this rate, that's all he wears anyway so I guess that's okay. And when I'm gone in two months I can't pester him to wear something other than a T-shirt once in a while. ;) Here are a couple shots of our new digs.


AJ was able to come home for a 30-minute lunch break, which was short but better than nothing. Once he returned at six we hopped in the car and drove straight to Mechanicsville to pick up my car! The dealership had been out of power for about 24 hours due to a storm, so the process of signing papers took a bit longer. We finally drove away as the sun was setting. I was nervous to drive a new car in a new area, but that feeling quickly went away because I was so excited and happy. I love it! According to the Army, we should never give in to road rage because of the open carry law here. Apparently it's not uncommon for people to be shot over an argument on the road. Duly noted. Makes me thankful that IL is the only state left without a concealed carry law. You REALLY don't want to give Chicago drivers a gun! One challenge we face with two cars now is the fact that we only have one remote to open the gate to get to our building. I have to get up with AJ, follow him out of the gate, wait til he hands me the remote, and drive back to our building. Which is GREAT because now all our neighbors get to see me with bedhead, pajamas, and a cranky expression first thing every morning. I wear sunglasses even though I don't need them so maybe I'm not as recognizable. :)

AJ was on his cell phone "keeping my squad together" all evening, and we had to stop at another apartment building right away so he could meet with another soldier. We finally had McDonalds for dinner at 10pm. I can tell he must be feeling overwhelmed these days, so I'm doing my best to take care of his needs and not ask much of him.

Well, I'm about to go for my first run here. Supposedly there's a trail behind our complex; however, as an Illinoisan, while living around lots of trees is somewhat novel to me, it also makes me a little nervous for safety. But this seems to be a nice quiet area, and I AM surrounded by the Army, right? After that I'll take my car for a spin and finally get us some groceries. Maybe I'll make dinner tonight!

3 comments:

  1. Your new apartment and surroundings look fabulous. What a exciting time for you both! Sounds like you are being very productive and keeping busy. Weather in Peotone has been swimming weather and I am glad my daughter, Kelly, in Elmhurst has a pool. My recovery from surgery 3 weeks ago allows me to put water-proof bandages over my stitches and float in my raft. Put me in a puddle and I am a Happy woman...love..love..water! Suppose to be over 100 today! Your new car loos great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! I'm so glad you're recovery well from your surgery and having fun in the pool while you're at it! It's going to be 105 here for the next couple days, so a pool sounds great right now!

      Delete
  2. HOPE YOU HAVE SOMEWHERE WHERE YOU CAN GET WET TOO!
    NOTHING LIKE HIGH TEMPERATURES AND FUN IN THE WATER,
    MY WATER PROOF BANDAGES WORK REALLY WELL AND ALMOST ALL OF MY STITCHES ARE HEALED.
    BTW HAVE YOU HEARD OF THE GREAT TASTE NO PAIN SYSTEM?
    IT IS ALL ABOUT HOW YOU COMBINE FOODS SO THEY DON'T PRODUCE TOO MUCH ACIDITY. THEY ASLO HAVE GLUTEN FREE BOOKS. I AM FINDING MOST DR'S ARE NOT INTO PREVENTATIVE BUT RATHER MANAGEMENT. THEY WILL KEEP YOU ON PRESCRIPTIONS TIL THE COW COMES HOME RATHER THAN FIND THE ROOT OF THE PROBLEM. THESE DAYS YOU HAVE TO BE YOUR OWN ADVOCATE. MY ACID REFLUX BECAME SO BAD IT SHOT MY SPHINCTER MUSCLE IN THE ESOPHAGUS AND MY STOMACH PUSHED THROUGH THE DIAPHRAGM BY 1/3 AND WAS LIVING NEXT TO THE ESOPHAGUS. TOOK A 5 HR SURGERY TO CORRECT EVERYTHING AND NOW A 12 WEEK HEALING. IT IS ALL GOOD NOW! MISS SEEING YOU AND AJ AT CHURCH! HAVE A FUN SUMMER AND FIND A POOL! (-:

    ReplyDelete