Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Day one.

It's 5:30pm on my first full day in South America! Today has definitely been a full day. We were up pretty late last night unpacking, meeting each other, and all that fun stuff so I'm definitely a little tired now. 

This morning we went to the dean's house for breakfast, which was really good. Right away I noticed foreign fruits in the fruit salad, reminding me that I am now living at the equator! We enjoyed eating and chatting until it was time for some orientation stuff. We talked about what we're excited and nervous for; having faith like Abraham, who was a stranger in a foreign land; practiced greeting each other Ecuadorian style (by touching someone's upper arm, meeting your cheek with theirs, and making a kissing noise); met the staff; and finally played some games. By the end of all that I was definitely ready to explore; I have a hard time sitting for a long time and wanted to get out and actually do something. Which we did!

The staff took us on a little walking tour of the area, pointing out important streets and other locations. I felt more than a little overwhelmed trying to keep track of the street names and where they were in relation to our apartment--getting around the city is probably one of the things I'm most nervous for here. Thankfully, I remember that Pichincha (the mountain that I think is also a volcano looming over us) is west, and if I get really lost I know how to tell a taxi driver to bring me back to the apartment. Eventually we stopped at a mall, which actually has a lot of American chains--Subway, Cinnabon, Burger King. We stuck with Ecuadorian food, of course, so I was brave and tried ceviche. Ceviche is a cold soup containing fish or shrimp. I'm not a fan of shrimp, so I tried the fish and it was actually pretty good! It's packed with cilantro and lime, so it has a lot of flavor. It was served with popcorn, corn nuts, and plantain chips. Yum.

As we continued our tour we went into a market, full of produce I've never seen before in my life. There are so many exotic fruits here, and they're all cheap! There's one called a "snot fruit", which apparently looks like snot but tastes delicious. Shopping there ought to be an adventure.


After our walk we climbed back up to our neighborhood, where we had a bit more orientation stuff before finally getting some down time. The weather is gorgeous and so far it's been a good day. The altitude and pollution are definitely there, but so far neither has been too bad for me. The next few days bring more orientation, which I honestly can't wait to get through. I just want to be in my internship, living life in Quito. However, I know I have to be able to function here first, so it's all worth it. That's all for now! I've included pictures of the view from the roof of our apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment