Friday, May 31, 2013

Greetings from the Desert.

Well, after coming back to North America, saying hello and goodbye to everyone I'm close to, and graduating from college, I've finally landed in my new home. And this time, we don't know when or where we will be moving next--so although this isn't our last stop, it's at least the last one on the calendar.

I'll admit, moving out of Illinois was not easy. I had just one week to see everyone I love and graduate (not to mention pack) before I was on the move again. This time, I'm not even sure when we'll have a decent amount of time in Illinois again. I'll be coming to a couple weddings and of course we want to visit for Christmas, but you just never know if that'll happen in the Army. In short, it's very strange to know that I'm in a place semi-permanently, and that this place is about 22 hours from the people I've known for my entire life.

I also definitely feel like "the new kid" these days. Growing up I was fortunate to live in the same place, keeping the same friend group from my elementary years through high school. And of course, everyone's new in college. While we lived at Fort Lee, we were part of a group of 2LTs and their wives who were all young, new to Fort Lee, and often new to active duty. All we wives had was each other, and we became really close. My best friend from Virginia saw me through some really tough times. Since getting here, though, I definitely feel like the new girl in town, and even my own husband already knows everyone and has his own group of friends. We went to a church barbecue for Memorial Day, which was great but overwhelming--I can't tell you how many people I met, most of whom said, "Oh, I've heard so much about you!" Meanwhile, I can't even remember their names! So, still working on the whole making-friends thing. 

Although the first week or so was pretty tough, there are good things happening too. I finally organized our apartment, so it feels more like our space now. I've used the commissary and PX (which are way bigger and better here, and as a result they're stricter about doing 100% ID checks), had lunch with AJ while he was at work, and applied for a public library card. I've now been on my graduate school campus once, and I've already had one great interview for a possible field placement. Two couples from church have invited us over for dinner, although I have yet to meet any Army wives more my age. AJ says I'm expected at the FRG meetings (Family Readiness Group; it's run by the Army to keep families informed and prepared) anyway, so maybe I'll meet someone there...maybe.

The last few weeks have definitely been a bit of a shock. This city does not look like anything that I'm used to, and I feel like I'm starting over completely here. To add more complexity, AJ has already established a life here that I've felt pressured to fit into. Still, I'm starting to feel like God has a purpose for my life here, not just for my husband's, and I know that things will get better and better. I miss family and friends a lot these days, but ultimately we're called to be here right now, and so we might as well embrace it. I keep telling ourselves that we're going to have lots of adventurous stories later on.

In other news...our couch comes tomorrow! Looking forward to actually having some furniture in our living area. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment