Tuesday, May 7, 2013

I'll miss you, Ecuador.

As my time in Ecuador is coming to a close, I've been thinking about all the things I'll miss about this amazing country. Here's my list of things I'm reluctant to leave behind in South America:

1. Speaking Spanish all the time. I know, I haven't always been so thrilled about having to speak Spanish, especially in homestays when I never spoke English. However, my Spanish has grown by leaps and bounds in just three months, and I know I won't see that kind of dramatic change once I'm back in the U.S. 

2. The natural beauty of this country, no matter where you go. Ecuador is a breathtakingly beautiful place everywhere you look. I've been living in the Andes mountains, which are guaranteed to provide stunning views of green peaks and snow-capped volcanoes. The Oriente (or the Amazon) possesses its own kind of beauty, with exotic plants and animals and untouched landscapes. The Galapagos is a paradise all its own, with pristine light blue waters, white sand, black volcanic rocks, and bright green plants. The Coast, of course, offers plenty of stunning Pacific beaches and even lush, green hills. I have honestly not been to a place in Ecuador that did not have some remarkable natural beauty, and I have not just been spending time in all the pretty tourist spots. It's just that great of a country.

3. The culture. Ecuadorians are so, so warm and friendly. I have always felt so welcome with my host family, the staff at my field placement, and other places where I spent a lot of time. Even strangers will go out of their way to help you and say hello to you. Priority is always given to older adults and people with children, everywhere you go. Ecuadorians have also preserved their culture so well, even with outside influences. It's very common to see indigenous men and women dressed up in their traditional clothing, just because that's what they wear every day. I've heard Quichua spoken on the bus and the food has remained much the same over thousands of years. I hope that never changes. 

4. The weather. Although I've heard Ecuadorians complain about how unpredictable it is, it's almost always great! Sure, you have to be prepared for rain at all times, but even then the temperature is usually fine. And although it can be rainy here, it never gets humid in the Sierra region (where Quito is), which means my joints are very happy.

5. Shopping at little tiendas. I love walking down the street for some fresh-baked bread, walking over to the fruit and vegetable tienda, and then stopping by the one with all kinds of things on our corner. Sure, it's more stops, but it's easier in a way because you can pick up only what you need on your walk home from work.

6. The slower pace of life. Although it can sometimes be mind-boggling for us North Americans used to things happening on time, Ecuadorians definitely have their priorities straight. They always take time for family and friends, no matter what else is going on. Ecuador is "The Land of Mañana" so things don't often happen on time, but after a few months in "Flex-ador" it's really not a big deal.

7. Not being so distracted by materialism. Ecuador is a developing country, so life is much simpler than it is in the States. I walk or use public transportation everywhere I go. I don't get caught up in wishing I had nicer, more fashionable clothes. I don't freak out about cool showers (although the icy cold ones are awful). I don't think about television anymore, because I haven't seen it since I left the U.S. I'm used to having less choices at restaurants and in grocery stores. Heat and air conditioning are non-existent, but that's okay. And safety standards...who needs them? ;) Seriously, though, the consumer culture of the U.S. is going to be one of the hardest parts about going back. I'm scared I'm going to lose the attitude I had in Ecuador and will get caught up in materialism again.

These are just a few things I'm going to miss. These days when I walk around Quito I come up with more, but there are too many to list here. I got you the biggest ones though. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment