Tuesday, May 7, 2013

I miss you, America.

This post is going to be about some of the things I've learned to appreciate about the States since I've been living in South America. And here they are:

1. So, let's talk about toilet paper. Although I got used to throwing it in the trash can pretty fast, I will admit that it might be kind of cool to flush it again. Also on that note, it'll be pretty cool to be able to assume that a public bathroom even has toilet paper. And that it won't cost you anything. In this country you often have to bring your own TP or pay for it. And if you forgot...you better hope a friend is in the next stall with some extra!

2. I'm looking forward to a safer environment in general. Here we can never walk around or take public transportation after dark, except for taxis (and I've even been warned against some taxis). This means that all my business pretty much has to be done by sunset each day, and if I didn't leave field exactly on time I'd get into trouble. There are also streets in our neighborhood (which is really nice) that I should never, ever take because they're known for muggings (except I do that anyway because otherwise the walk is too long). Basically, you always have to be watching your things in Ecuador, and even then you can get robbed. Being a foreigner makes you an extra large target. So, I'm excited for safety.

3. Food. I'm definitely looking forward to some American restaurants and dishes that I couldn't make here. But more than that, I'm excited to not have to worry about how everything is cooked here. I've been in several situations where I had to eat with Ecuadorians and I wasn't sure if what they gave me was safe (but I was always fine in the end). Here you have to be careful with things like ice, produce, and even meat because it may not be handled properly. If you're not careful you could end up with diarrhea or a parasite, and those are not fun. So, although I've avoided all the bad stuff, it'll be nice not to worry.

4. English. Okay, I know I said I'd really miss speaking Spanish, and I will. Still, it'll be nice to communicate fluently wherever I go and actually feel like I know things. Sometimes living in a second language can be super embarrassing and frustrating, so I'm kind of looking to being an expert in my own language and culture again.

5. Warm showers, the ability to control the temperature in my apartment, baking at normal altitude, driving a car, and all those other super awesome little things that I've been doing without here. No, they're not essential or important (well, heat and a vehicle actually are in the States). But they are nice.

6. Not sticking out like a sore thumb because I have white skin and light brown hair. Although there are some foreigners living in Ecuador, it doesn't seem like there are many. Normally, wherever I go, I'm surrounded by people with black hair and dark skin. This means that it's obvious that I don't belong, and that attracts unwanted attention. This could mean being stared at or gaining the affections of men, or being a target for a robbery. I get whistled at a lot, and not long ago one young man kissed his hand and then quickly grabbed my arm. And then stared at me as he walked away. Most Ecuadorian men are super polite, but being a foreign woman just means I'm exotic to them. Some people also assume I can't speak Spanish and speak to me in English, which is frustrating. However, this doesn't happen a ton because the people who know English are definitely a small minority.

These are just some things Ecuador has taught me to appreciate about my home country. Don't get me wrong, though--I love this country and I could definitely live here long term. There are things I like about Ecuador more than I do the States, and vice versa. I just wanted to be honest with all of you about what it's really like to live here, because it's not all fun all the time. It's not realistic or honest to say you love absolutely everything about the culture in which you live, whether it's you native culture or a foreign one. Overall, though, I'd say that I've been super blessed to live in Ecuador this semester and would highly recommend it to anyone! It's a tiny country that not many Americans have heard of, but it is 100% worth a visit. I wouldn't have chosen any other place to study abroad! This amazing country has so much to offer, and I only hope more people can experience it while keeping Ecuador as unique as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment